About Coach Ken Johnson
3-Fitness & Wellness is owned by Ken Johnson, a USAT Certified Coach and NASM Certified Personal Trainer based in southeastern Wisconsin. For 10 years he was a triathlon coach and the Pleasant Prairie RecPlex, the largest municipal fitness center in the United States. In addition to providing individual and group triathlon training, he created and directed the RecPlex Indoor Triathlon series, which as been running since 2005. He also conceived, implemented, and led a summer-long program of open water swims.
Since 2014 Coach Ken has been employed at HealthFitness, and currently is a Lifestyle Management Health Coach, helping client employees and subscribers meet their health goals and priorities.
Certifications and Specialized Training
- USA Triathlon Certified Coach since 2003
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer since 2003
- American Swim Coaches Association Level 1 Coach
- American Sports Education Program (ASEP) Coaching Certificate and Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Coaching Certificate
- Wellcoaches Certified Wellness Coach & Fitness Coach (2006-2010)
- Illinois certificate in Wellness Coaching
- TRX Suspension Training Course Certified
- Drums Alive Basic Group Exercise Leader
- BOSU Integrated Balance Training Specialty Certification
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors Instructor Emeritus
I really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into your courses, with the handouts, and the checklist and the laminated course maps. It shows a lot of attention to detail and I want you to know that it is noticed and appreciated!
~~Patti M., Triathlon clinic and private training client
Selected Triathlon Background
- Triathlon Coach at the Pleasant Prairie RecPlex in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin for 10 years. During Coach Ken's tenure the RecPlex hosted the Trek Women's Triathlon, the Danskin Women's Triathlon, the IronGirl Triathlon and the Pleasant Prairie Triathlon and Junior Triathlon.
- Race Director for the RecPlex Indoor Triathlon series, Triathlon Championship, and Turkey 5K/Tri Combo Championship.
- Ironman Wisconsin lifeguard, 2002-2010
- Illinois Representative to the USA Triathlon Mideast Region Board of Directors, 2005-2006
- Board of Directors, Chicago Tri Club, 2002 to 2008
- In 1999, one of four members who reformed the Chicago Triathlon and Multisport Club (renamed the Chicago Tri Club in 2002)
- One of the founders of the RunBig Chicago Multisport Club, a Clydesdale organization
- Developed the RunBig 2003 & 2004 multisport race circuits
- M.S. in Exercise Science, Specialization in Health and Wellness Promotion
- M.B.A. with Marketing Emphasis
- M.A. in Anthropology
Thank you for volunteering at the Ironman swim this year. As you know, it was a safe swim with very few people needing assistnace. I appreciate all your hard work, communication and preparation at our meetings and on race day.
~~Emily Jaehnig, Ironman Wisconsin Swim Captain - Lifeguards